Written statements that are clear, concise and accurately record events are vital in several areas of Council work. This training course aims to provide the knowledge and guidance for the professional presentation of evidence and facts contained within witness statements.
- The rules of evidence in relation to both Criminal and Civil type statements.
- What constitutes evidence and its admissibility?
- The rules relating to ‘hearsay evidence’.
- The rules relating to ‘business document evidence’, and how to cover it correctly within a statement.
- What is an exhibit? Dealing with its continuity, and how to produce them correctly in line with the legislation.
- Planning prior to writing a statement.
- The structure required to produce a quality statement.
- Linking the contents to the records retained throughout the investigation.
- The difference between producing a statement on behalf of the organisation, such as a statement of complaint, and individual testimony.
- Identity evidence and how it should be included (R v Turnbull).
- Court procedures re the use of witness statements.
- Consequences of getting it wrong.